A lot of times it is up to what the cookie maker is wanting and the taste they are trying to get when it comes to making molasses cookies. If you are looking for a basic, tasty recipe though, here is one that you can try.
Molasses Cookie Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening (3/4 cup correct amount)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt (Depending on the taste you are wanting.) •
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice (Again, optional. Some recipes call for it while others don’t.)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Granulated sugar for rolling cookies (Optional. Depends if you like the idea like a sugar cookie.)
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar.
- Stir in egg and molasses and mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients (except for granulated sugar) and stir.
- Cover and chill till firm, for at least 1 hour and it could be 2 hours if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll dough into small balls and roll in white sugar (optional, but tastes and looks yummy).
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Make sure the cookies have room to spread.
- Bake at 350° for 8 – 12 minutes. It is always wise to start with 8 minutes and then add more time as needed.
- Leave on sheet one to two minutes until set.
- Remove to cooling rack.
The amount of molasses cookies made will vary on the size of the cookie you made. If you prefer uniform cookies, you can roll out the dough and use an 8 oz. glass or a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Another option, is to just make cookie drops and then mash them a bit flat with the bottom of a glass. There are many other options you can try with the molasses cookie recipe as well. We’ll try and post them as we find them!